Can’t find your copy of an old tax return? Not sure that you received all your 1099s or other tax forms this year? You can get the information from the IRS by requesting transcripts or copies of tax returns.



Transcripts show the important information of tax returns without reproducing the forms. You can often get transcripts faster than copies of actual forms, they usually contain the information a third party (such as a mortgage company) requires, and they are free! They can be requested for:

  • Tax returns- this shows most line items of your tax return Form 1040.
  • Tax account- this shows basic information such as marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income, and taxable income.
  • Wage and income- this shows amounts reported on W-2s, 1099s, and 1098s.


The IRS has a system to get transcripts either online immediately or by mail. You can use the online Get Transcript system here.

My disclaimer- I tried to use the system to view my transcripts. It could not find my information and locked me out after a few tries.


Tax Return Copies

If you want a copy of the actual tax return you filed, that can be requested as well. You will need to fill out Form 4506 and pay $50 per return requested.


Tweet it! Get tax info and return copies by requesting transcripts from the IRS. @BetteHochberger