It’s a week before Tax Day! At this point, if you haven’t gotten your information to your CPA yet you should probably go on extension. Do this by filing IRS Form 4868.   This gives you an extra 6 months- until October 15- to complete your tax return. You are better off filing an extension and letting your CPA work on it over the summer with adequate time to complete it than rushing to get it done in the next week, probably with mistakes. But remember- an extension to file is NOT an extension to pay! This means that you should have your taxes paid by April 15, even if you don’t have your tax return ready.


Tweet it! An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay! Make sure your taxes are paid in by April 15. @BetteHochberger


For more tax dates check here.