Hey guys, I’m Bette Hochberger, CPA, CGMA, and today, I’ll be discussing the essential details of the 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC forms. Understanding these forms is crucial for freelancers, contractors, and businesses alike. So, let’s go ahead and break down their differences, important deadlines, and how to handle them efficiently.

What Are 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC Forms?

The 1099 forms are part of the IRS’s information return system, used to report various types of income other than wages, salaries, and tips. The two most common forms are:

– 1099-NEC (Nonemployee Compensation): Used specifically to report payments of $600 or more made to non-employees, such as independent contractors and freelancers.

– 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income): Used for various types of income, including rent, royalties, prizes, and other payments not covered by the 1099-NEC.

Key Differences Between 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC


– 1099-NEC: Exclusively for reporting nonemployee compensation.

– 1099-MISC: Covers miscellaneous income, including rent, royalties, and other forms of payment.

Box Placement

– 1099-NEC: Nonemployee compensation is reported in Box 1.

– 1099-MISC: Income categories have specific boxes (e.g., rent in Box 1, royalties in Box 2).

Filing Requirements

– 1099-NEC: Required if you paid $600 or more to a nonemployee in a year.

– 1099-MISC: Required if you made miscellaneous payments of $600 or more or $10 or more in royalties.


– 1099-NEC: Must be filed with the IRS and sent to recipients by January 31st.

– 1099-MISC: Must be sent to recipients by January 31st and filed with the IRS by March 31st if filing electronically (or February 28th if filing by paper).

How to Handle 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC Forms

Collect Information

Gather the necessary details from your contractors and payees, including name, address, and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). Use Form W-9 to request this information.

Determine the Right Form

Identify whether the payment is non-employee compensation (1099-NEC) or other miscellaneous income (1099-MISC).

Fill Out the Form

   – For 1099-NEC, report non-employee compensation in Box 1.

   – For 1099-MISC, report specific types of income in their respective boxes.

Send Copies to Recipients

Ensure recipients receive their copies by January 31st for both forms.

File with the IRS

   – Submit the 1099-NEC to the IRS by January 31st.

   – File the 1099-MISC with the IRS by March 31st if filing electronically, or by February 28th if filing by paper.

Common Pitfalls to Avoid

– Incorrect Form Selection: Ensure you distinguish correctly between nonemployee compensation and other types of income.

– Missing Information: Double-check the accuracy of the TIN and other details provided by contractors and payees.

– Late Filing: Adhere to the deadlines to avoid penalties.

Understanding the differences between these forms is crucial for proper tax reporting. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to leave a comment or reach out to us directly.

I hope you all learned something new today. As always, stay safe, and I’ll see you next time!