April 15 – But It’s Not Tax Day?!

Crazy woman with tax sheets


Today is April 15 but it isn’t Tax Day.  The deadline for filing your 2015 taxes is actually Monday, April 18.  That’s good news if you’ve been procrastinating because you get a few more days!

The reason for the deadline being moved is because today is Emancipation Day in Washington DC. Emancipation Day is a holiday in marking the anniversary of the signing of the Compensated Emancipation Act, which president Abraham Lincoln signed on April 16, 1862. Normally it is held on April 16th, but being a Saturday this year it is being observed on April 15.  Government employees in DC enjoy the day off today, including those at the IRS.  The filing deadline had to be moved to the next business day – April 18.

If you still need to file an extension for your 2015 you can do so with Form 4868.  Contact me if you need help with your extension or tax filings.

2013 Corporate Tax Return Deadline March 17, 2014

March 17 is the 2013 corporate tax filing deadline

The business tax return deadline is quickly coming!  Normally C- and S- corporation tax returns are due on March 15th, but this year that date is a Saturday so the kind folks at the IRS make the following Monday, March 17th the deadline instead.

At this point if you haven’t gotten your information to your CPA yet you are probably going to go on extension.  This is done by filing IRS Form 7004.   This gives you an extra 6 months- until September 15- to complete your tax return.  For C-corporations if you owe any tax for the 2013 year this form allows you make a payment for the balance due.

Tweet it! March 17 is the 2013 corporate tax filing deadline.  File Form 7004 to get an extension until September 15. @BetteHochberger 

recite-corporate filing deadline march 17 2014

For more tax dates check here.

2012 Individual, Partnership, LLC, and Trust returns are due April 15, 2013

The tax filing deadline for individuals (Form 1040), partnerships and LLCs (Form 1065), and trusts (Form 1041) is next Monday, April 15, 2013. If you have not started your tax return yet you might want to consider filing an extension form. Individuals file Form 4868, and partnerships, LLCs, and trusts file Form 7004.

Why should you file an extension? By filing an extension you will avoid late filing penalties and interest. Remember, an extension to file is not an extension to pay. If you owe taxes this year you are still supposed to be paid in by April 15. If not you might owe penalties and interest. Confused? Need help? Hire a CPA. 🙂

Here we go!

So in the midst of yet another tax extension busy season I made the decision (on the advice of the wise Denise Jacobs) to make a real effort to regularly blog about all sorts of accounting and tax related topics.  Hopefully you find some interesting information here!  If you have a specific question or have something to say about what I wrote I’d love to hear from you!  So sharpen your pencil and get your abacus ready- here we go!